Friday, February 4, 2011

Navajo Tacos

I was sitting at home deciding what to make for dinner, and decided to pull out the cook book Martha (my mom-in-law) gave me for Christmas.  In it, I found Grandma's delicious recipe for scones!!!  I had never made them before, but I do remember their delicious taste.  So I decided I would make them, and then make Navajo Tacos!

I will give you the recipe but I have to warn you.  When you are frying the scones, do NOT use a spatula.  Hello!  If you give a girl a spatula while she is frying made-from-scratch scones...... she will splatter oil ALL over herself and her kitchen.  Tongs, people.  Use tongs.  :)

For the scones:
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. shortening (I used margarine)
1 C. milk
3 C. flour
1 Tbsp. yeast
1/4 C. warm water

Dissolve yeast in water.  Add shortening & salt.  Stir.  Add milk and sift in flour.  Mix well.  Let stand 15 minutes.  Knead & Roll 1/2" thick.  Cut and fry in oil.

I put chili, sour cream, and cheese on them.  They're also delicious with lettuce and tomatoes, but I didn't have any of that on hand and it was too cold to go to the store :)  So I just settled for what I had at home.


 
Brilliantly Delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment